Thursday, March 26, 2009

Cottage Cheese, Oats and Yogurt, Oh My!!

OK, so it's been too long.

Quick update, I have now lost 8.6 pounds, and I have started a second blog because life was getting in my way and keeping me from posting fun stuff on here. So, on to the fun stuff...

Alright boys and girls, I promised you a post about a weird protein snack perfect for breakfast or right after a workout, so here it is.


First it is important to know that after a workout no matter how stressful, you need to have a high-protein snack within 30 minutes to maximize the benefits of your workout. You need to give your body the material to rebuild the muscles and feed them so your body burns off the fat instead of the muscle you just worked so hard to create. Protein shakes or mixes are one route, but you need to watch the fat and calorie content of these products. Another alternative is a strange mixture I learned about from on of the girls at the gym. I didn't get a recipe, so the following is a ratio that I worked out that tastes pretty good to me, but feel free to change the measurements to suit your taste.

Here's the low down on this strange but yummy protein rich snack.

  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 1 container (4-6 oz) yogurt any flavor (though you may want to avoid anything with seeds)
  • 1/3 cup uncooked, instant oats

Mix these all together in a resealable container and let stand (in fridge) for 2 hours to overnight.

I've had it fresh, and once it has had a chance to blend, and I prefer the fresh one to the overnight version. The whole point of letting it set overnight is to allow the liquid from the yogurt and cottage cheese to soften the oats, but I like the crunch of the oats better than the gluey texture of the softened oats. Again, personal preference, please feel free to make your own judgement.

I know, I know, it sounds weird, and maybe a little gross, but it really is good.

Next time...I'm not sure, but I'll think of something between now and then.

Until then....

No comments:

Post a Comment